DIAPERLOGUE: the unremarkable adventures of a suburban prince and princess

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Passover Again?

posted by Evan Jake at 6:20 PM

Last night we went to my Bubbe and Zayde's house for "Passover" -- that's the English word for "Pesach."

I kind of remember this holiday from last year. It's the one where everyone sits around a table and tells half the story of Exodus before eating and getting into bickering fights about what ingredients are or aren't in the soup. It all seemed eerily familiar. Is this it? Do we just keep doing the same things every year? I'm only 15 months old and I feel like I've done this all before. Surely it gets better, right?

There were a lot of people over for the "crazy dinner" -- that's the English translation of the Hebrew word "Seder." There were 16 people in all. People had to bring their own chairs. It's a good thing the Prophet Elijah didn't show up. We put out a glass of wine for him, but there were no more chairs. Hey, prophets get sore feet, too.

Our kitty cats also got to come along on the trip -- they sit in laps, not chairs. They had a great time running up and down all the stairs in Bubbe and Zayde's house. I think the cats are sad not to have stairs in our house, too. But soon they will.

Unlike last year, this year I got to eat some of the food being served. Bubbe's cooking is good. I didn't throw nearly as much of it on the floor as I normally do at dinnertime. Dad tried to feed me lots of Maztah hoping that if I ate enough, he wouldn't have to change a dirty diaper on me for days.

In addition to the food, I also loved seeing my whole family. It was a blast entertaining them all with my singing. My songs are pretty terrible and consist of only two notes and a lot of clapping. They seemed amused none the less. I guess that explains how Sanjaya has become so popular.

I did get to stay up way past my normal bedtime. And then I had trouble falling asleep. Well, what do you expect when you tell stories about killing of the first born? I wanted to get up and make sure that lamb's blood was on the door. Helmet baby need to get passed over!

({:O

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Evan Jake,
Bubbie and Zayde loved having you and mom and dad for the seder. Hope this is just the beginning of many wonderful memories of family celebrations.
Love,
Bubbie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage counters