DIAPERLOGUE: the unremarkable adventures of a suburban prince and princess

Sunday, March 11, 2007

What's in Store?

posted by Evan Jake at 8:21 PM

This weekend mom and dad started getting the old house-without-stairs ready to sell. They were taking things out of all the closets and drawers and boxing them up. They even boxed up some of my precious toys. Hey, I might need those!

Mom loaded up the biggie van and dad drove it away with them all piled high in the back. I was curious where all those boxes were going. So on one of the trips I took a ride with mom and dad to see where they went after they left the house. It turns out dad was taking all those boxes to a big square building with no windows. Mom and dad took me inside to scope out the place.

All the floors were made of concrete and it was really cold because there was no heat. There were rows and rows of rooms that all had big sliding doors on them. I know about door knobs, but these big sliding doors were new to me. Dad showed me a room that he had rented for us. He opened the big door and there I could see all my old toys! There was my swing, my bouncy chair, my mobile, my play mat, my old car chairs and bath chairs. Oh, the memories.

Then I wondered what all my stuff was doing in there. Was this my new room? Were mom and dad going to leave me here? The only thing that was missing, really, was my crib and some stacking cups. Other than that, it was nearly ready for me to move in.

Dad said not to worry, it was only a temporary storage unit. If you ask me, it looks more like a temporary dumpster. If all this stuff is so important and valuable, why are you sticking it in a concrete building with no windows and no heat? Why not just throw it all away? Well, what do I care? Just so long as they don't leave me in that locker. If they did, at least I'd have some toys to play with.

After a long day of packing and cleaning, mom and dad took me out for dinner. I can actually be quite good dinner company these days. I love sitting in a high chair and watching all the people around us. I like to stare people down at the table next to us until they smile. If they don't smile, I'll point to them and say "bah." If that doesn't work, I'll clap my hands and sing a song. If that doesn't work, they must be made of stone and aren't deserving of my cuteness. Who can't smile a cute baby in a helmet singing and clapping?

Mom ordered me chicken and french fries off the Evan Jake menu. I love to eat french fries. I also like to squish them in my fingers and rub them on the table.

After my dinner the nice waitress lady brought me a dessert called ice cream. It came free with my fried chicken and french fries. I guess they're trying to fatten us babies up. I'd never had ice cream before because it's made from milk. I'm not supposed to have a lot of milk right now because it makes my skin itchy. Mom gave me a big spoonful or ice cream anyway. It tasted really sweet. But then I got this really bad headache -- like my helmet was on too tight. That was weird. Helmet baby no like brain freeze.

({:O

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Evan,

Well, it looks like you have begun the process of moving to the new house! I know first hand how much 'fun' it all is, having recently moved not just up the street like you will but across several states. Your life will be disrupted for a while and you may not find all your toys or other treasures until long after you have moved into the new place, but it will be a great adventure! Someday you will all remember fondly the little place with no stairs when there were only 'three' of you plus the two cats!

Love, Nana

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan,

Did you know that your mom once attempted to discover the best chicken fingers in the great Rochester area? Sounds like your in training to take over the family business!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage counters