DIAPERLOGUE: the unremarkable adventures of a suburban prince and princess

Thursday, February 21, 2008

DiaperReports: The Smithsonian Institution Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

posted by Evan Jake at 7:08 PM

This past weekend, I was treated to an impromptu trip to the Smithsonian Institution Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport in Loudon County, Virginia. Wow, say that three times fast!

Daddy has taken me to the airport before to watch the airplanes take off and land. I love to watch the airplanes fly overhead and yell out, "Airplane!" But this airport had a big giant museum with a hangar full of lots and lots of airplanes. As we walked through the massive building, I couldn't help myself. "Airplane! Airplane! Airplane! Airplane!" There were airplanes everywhere!

There were airplanes hanging from the ceiling, parked on the ground, stacked on top of one another and nestled into corners. There were Russian fighter jets sitting just feet away from American spy planes. There was a Concorde plane and the Enola Gay. There were sleek fighter jets and big passenger jets. There were rocket ships, missles, helicopters, bi-planes and sea planes. There was even a space shuttle!

Daddy thought that even though the museum was positively huge, it was so tightly packed with aircraft that it was almost impossible to appreciate their scale and design. Me, I just loved running across the large, open aisles. I ran from one end of the hangar to the other, and then back. It's almost as if the place was designed with rambunctious two-year old boys in mind.

But my favorite part of the whole museum was the store. It was full of little toy airplanes! I wanted play with all of them. I think I was able to get through about half of them before we had to leave. Mommy and Daddy got me a little toy space shuttle and a t-shirt to remember the trip by, since they forgot to take the camera!

I hope they take me to this airport museum again, if not to play with the rest of the toys in the store, then at least to run around like crazy! Oh, and to see the airplanes, too.

~:O

3 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jammer said...

Evan,

As your father knows, your "Uncle Dadda" has been dying to visit this new museum for some time now, so you'll have to be sure to bring me along for your return visit. It sounds way cool. Maybe you can wait a couple of years and go back with your new little sister and your new little cousin from Philly so you can show them around.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your Zayde is jealous too. Your Dada keeps taking you to really neat places and I want to go too. Tell your Dada that he needs to take Zayde too next time.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Evan Jake said...

You guys are welcome to come down and take me to all the cool museums any time you want. You don't even have to drag Mommy and Daddy along. They just slow me down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage counters