DIAPERLOGUE: the unremarkable adventures of a suburban prince and princess

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Summer Fun

posted by Evan Jake at 7:04 PM

Both Momma and Dadda were on vacation for the last couple weeks. This past week, we've just been hanging out at home which has been a nice change of pace from all the driving we did the week before. But we haven't been sitting idle. No, there will be no relaxing, lounging or general slothiness in Evan Jake's presence. So to keep me occupied, Momma and Dadda have come up with plenty of activities.

I've recently acquired a mild obsession with airplanes. When I'm outside, I'm always looking up to see if there are any airplanes in sight. If I hear a sound that remotely resembles the roar of an airplane (be it a lawnmower, car or dishwasher) I will point skywards and proclaim "Airplane!" just in case one is on the approach.

To slake my newfound passion for aeronautics, Dadda decided he would take me someplace special. The airport! At BWI -- I mean Thurgood Marshall -- Airport, there is a big park at the end of the runway. So Dadda took me there to watch airplanes as they buzzed overhead. At first, I was a bit startled by the noise they made, and how low they flew to the ground. But after a couple flybys, I was in my own Federally restricted paradise. I watched as plane after plane raced by, each time announcing, "Airplane!" What fun.

Speaking of big machines, my Dadda also took me to a construction site to see all the big trucks at work. Down the street they are building a big dirt pile next to some expensive houses. I don't know why anyone would pay that much for a house with a pile of dirt in the backyard. I much prefer our deck and barbeque grill to a pile of dirt. Anyway, I got to watch all the dump trucks, cranes and diggers that I only get to see in my books. This time I got to see them in action. That was pretty cool, too.

And speaking of construction, I also got to hang around as Dadda took on a lot of home improvement projects around the new house-with-stairs. Dadda was putting in some new floors, fixing faucets, building closets and hanging shelves. I tried to help as much as I could, but mostly had to observe. As I watched Dadda try to build things, I got to learn some fun curse words. Watch those thumbs. And he better watch his mouth!

Anyway, Dadda has to go back to work soon, so I won't get to hang out and curse with him quite as much. I'm bummed, but I suspect he's somewhat relieved not to have to keep pace with me on a daily basis.

Meanwhile, I've loved having so much time with Momma at home, too. She takes really good care of me, showing me puzzles, teaching me new words, playing LEGOs, reading me books and giving me ice cream cones! I wish I could spend more time with Momma. But she's going back to work now, too. She's going to be working part-time with some other children while I go to daycare for a few hours a day. I think it's good for Momma and me to see other people. Just not too many other people.

So this week it's back to the grind. And no more slacking on the blog!

~:O

1 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

We love airplanes too and always wave to them! Avery calls them zeezuh, maybe you could help her clear that one up.

She is the same way when it comes to hearing other things, but she sometimes thinks it is a motorcycle, sometimes a plane.

You two would get along fabulously I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage counters