DIAPERLOGUE: the unremarkable adventures of a suburban prince and princess

Saturday, August 04, 2007

My Dad: The "Hero"

posted by Evan Jake at 8:42 PM

It was so hot today, Momma and Dadda hardly let me go outside at all. I had to spend the entire morning and afternoon cooped up inside watching Momma and Dadda work on the new house with stairs. Dadda spent a lot of the day working with tools. I tried to help, but he kept taking the tools away from me.

Finally, after dinner, I got so cranky from being inside that Dadda finally gave in to my fussing. It had cooled down a bit, so Dadda decided to put my shoes on and take me for a short walk around the neighborhood.

When we walked out the front door, we started walking down the street. But there was this strange smell in the air, like someone was having a big barbeque (I love barbeque). I pulled on Dadda's arm and insisted he turn around to check it out. I dragged him with all my might so that he would take me down to the end of the street to see what was happening. When we got there, to my great disappointment, there was no barbeque. But there was a whole lot of smoke. The smoke was coming from one of the trees. The tree was on fire! All around the base of the tree were red-hot pieces of dirt and lots of smoke. It looked pretty cool and smelled nice too.

I tried to stamp out the fire myself with my little sandals, but Dadda wouldn't let me. He quickly swept me up and took me inside. Normally I would have expected Dadda to call the fire department at this time. But he didn't. Instead, he grabbed one of my water pails, filled it up and carried it outside to the tree.

When we got back to the tree, it was really smoking a lot. I got to watch as Dadda poured the water all over the dirt. It made a loud hissing sound and then all the smoke stopped.

Dadda went back inside and called the fire department because he wanted to show them what he'd done. He was quite proud of himself, I think.

A few minutes later, a big red truck came down the street. And there were four big guys in fancy uniforms that all hopped out. Dadda happily showed them the tree that had been burning. (They probably thought he was the one that set it on fire in the first place just so I could get to see a fire truck.)

With all the hot weather and all the trees being so dry, the firemen said that Dadda was a hero for putting out the fire the way he did. In another few minutes the whole neighborhood could have gone up in smoke! Or at least a few banches and a bird's nest.

But, Dadda wasn't really the hero. It was Evan Jake! If I hadn't insisted Dadda walk to the end of the street, he may never have noticed what was happening. And if not for my water pail, Dadda never could have put out the fire. I should be the one getting a medal and a parade down Main Street.

While Dadda was still talking to the firemen (they thought the fire was caused by a burning cigarette) Momma showed me some of the buttons and lights on the fire truck. It was really cool looking. Notice that I'm not including a picture of me riding on the fire truck in this post. That's because Dadda didn't have the guts to ask the firemen if he could take me onto the truck for a photo op.

Maybe if Dadda had told him that I was really the hero of the day, they would have taken me on the truck and made me an honorary member of the department!

~:O

2 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

You guys make a great team! Way to save the tree :)

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Two heroes in the family! We're so proud! We're thinking about you all in your new house and sending our love!! P&C&C&A
(and Tucker and Cooper and A's new puppy, Lily, who will go to school with her...she's a rescue, about 10 months old and a Gordon Setter/lab mix, but smallish (to us!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage counters